Friday 31 January 2014

I get (ironic) e-mail


Here's one weird new marketing trick you've probably never heard of (delivered, ironically, through the amazing new medium of bulk e-mail):
E-MAIL - the first communication medium of the 21st century!
Gain customer loyalty - Prospect new markets - Expand your brand - Increase sales via e-mail!
ADD E-MAIL* TO YOUR CONTACTS, CUSTOMERS, PROSPECTS, SUPPLIERS AND ENTER THE 21ST CENTURY *Commission vie privĂ©e 11018859 – CNIL 116441
Goodness me, whatever will they think of next? The 21st Century sounds way more exciting than wherever the hell I've been for the last fourteen years. Count me in! Where do I sign?

Sadly, just when I'm all fired up, another bulk e-mailer comes along to point out the fatal flaw in the otherwise excellent plan of spraying bulk e-mails in every direction:
Hi, my name is Alec.
I didn’t want to cold call your business as we all find that annoying...
Good point. I can see how that might happen.
...but I was hoping it would be possible to arrange a quick chat? I suspect you receive many generic emails offering business services, meaning I need to stand out. 
Sorry, Alec, you lost me at 'we all find that annoying'.

0 comments: