Wednesday 8 January 2014

Blood and soil versus treasure

Actually, do you know what, I'd rather we weren't slightly richer and I'd rather we had communities that felt more united and I'd rather have a situation where young, unemployed British people had a realistic chance of getting a job ... So, yes, I do think the social side of this matters more than pure market economics.
Froggy Farage, the Kermit of the 19th hole, proving that not all right-wingers are market fundamentalists. I can't see such views going down very well with the CBI.

I'd happily raise a glass to Froggy's communitarian spirit if it wasn't for a suspicion, bordering on certainty, that Ukip-friendly communities would be the sort of stifling, creepily tight-knit places where strangers would soon feel really uncomfortable, probably with good reason (remember the pub called The Slaughtered Lamb from An American Werewolf in London?).

0 comments: