Sunday 17 February 2013

Iain Duncan Smith on work experience

I don't think I'm above working in shops like Poundland. I now work part-time in a supermarket. It's just that I expect to get paid for working.
... said Cait Reilley. That statement doesn't seem too complicated for somebody on a work and pensions secretary's pay grade to understand, but Iain Duncan Smith has responded by criticising 'people who think they're too good to stack supermarket shelves', suggesting that Cait's statement is way too hard for him to understand. The poor old codger must be getting a bit past it. As the the soon-to-be-ex-Pope almost said:
Strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognise my incapacity to adequately fulfil the ministerial responsibilities entrusted to me.

Time for Iain to step aside in favour of someone younger, I think. Since Cait Reilly seems able to express her thoughts far more clearly than IDS, perhaps she'd benefit from a work experience placement as work and pensions secretary - she could hardly do a worse job than the present incumbent.

And as for poor old IDS, his failing strength of mind may rule out anything too challenging, but I'm sure that, with the right support and careful monitoring, he might still be capable of stacking a few supermarket shelves without making too much of a hash of it.

0 comments: