Sunday 23 October 2011

I need a hip replacement

I thought that the Internet search term "the cake is a lie" was just amusingly left field and blogged accordingly. It turns out the phrase was a quotation and meme that I just wasn't hip enough to recognise. It's from the computer game Half Life* 'which took the PC gaming world by storm upon its release on November 19, 1998' but is still an unknown quantity around these parts in 2011. I have, by the way, heard of Half Life, even if I'm oblivious to any pop cultural references it has spawned.

It wouldn't be too bad if I was self-consciously trying to emulate Ian Hislop, who was buffing up his carefully-crafted fogey-ish image like a well polished pair of old brogues on Radio 4 the other week (when challenged with buying his first ever pair of jeans for a mildly amusing comedy programme, he quipped that they were surprisingly comfortable and 'I might wear them to evensong'). But I'm not, and I'm left raging against my unwanted decent into old buffer-dom.

Apparently they even know about this in Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the plain (note the up-to-the-minute pop cultural reference from 1943).

* Update - no it isn't, it's apparently from Portal, as Meridian has just kindly informed me. D'oh! Less old fogey and more just old and confused.

1 comments:

Andrew King said...

It's feeling less like fogeydom and more like early-onset dementia by the minute...