Wednesday 5 October 2011

Facebook quarantine

 Here's a thought:

I've started browsing with Facebook open in my secondary browser and all other browsing in my primary. Will that help keep Mark Z at bay?

Sounds as if it might work, up to a point. I only use one browser for most of the time, but I'm going to start using a different one on the rare occasions I log in to Facebook (and never for anything else). Of course it wouldn't address a lot of the other question marks about keeping control of your personal info on FB, so I'll still be turning the privacy controls all the way up to 11, not giving any more than the bare minimum of personal information required and making sure there are a few outrageous lies on my profile, just to be on the safe side.

All of this mucking around partially cripples FB as a social networking tool, but at least it still allows me to occasionally keep up with a few people I actually know in real life (I don't do FB-only "friends"), without inviting world + dog to help themselves to what nation states would class as "information useful to the enemy".

0 comments: