Monday 23 May 2011

There's no one as Irish as Otto von Bismark

President Obama's visit to Ireland brought to mind a piece of General Ignorance that's been knocking around my head ever since I didn't pay proper attention in a school history lesson. I've spent the past thirty-odd years under the quaint misapprehension that the Black Velvet cocktail, traditionally made from a mixture of Guinness and champagne, was invented by Otto von Bismark. Fortunately, the Internet is on hand to correct my youthful inattention:

The drink was first created by the bartender of the Brooks's Club of London in 1861, to mourn the passing of Prince Albert, Queen Victoria's Prince Consort.

So, nothing to do with the Iron Chancellor, then? Well, there is a slight connection:

In Germany, a version of this mixed beer drink made with schwarzbier (a dark lager) and served in a beer stein or beer mug is called a "Bismarck". According to Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, the "Iron Chancellor" supposedly drank it by the gallon.

Wikipedia

The other thing I remember about Bismark from school is that he suffered from terrible indigestion, and no wonder, if that was his tipple of choice. I've never tried a Black Velvet myself, although it sounds to me like a waste of both the black stuff and champagne, fit only for posh student parties. Anyway, you're welcome to join me in raising a glass of the black stuff (without added sparkling wine) to Barack and Otto. Sláinte!

0 comments: