Saturday 3 September 2011

Can't stop the music

A world-class symphony orchestra needs eighty-odd highly talented people and years of dedication, sacrifice and training to make itself heard. Sadly, a tiny group of cloth-eared, muddle-headed noddies needs only a few incoherent yelps to force an orchestra off the air. Personally, I'd rather listen to the Israel Philharmonic, so here's one they made earlier - the climax of the piece that got barracked this week, Bruch's violin concerto: As far as I'm concerned, the only thing I feel like boycotting at the moment is the Judean Popular Peoples Front, or whatever the pipsqueaks responsible for trying to keep the airwaves judenfrei call themselves these days.

In a topsy-turvey society where you are the product you consume, I don't normally advocate consumer-led activism, but I'll make an exception in this case. If you've got a pound or two to spare, why not go out and buy something made in Israel to boycott the boycott? I can recommend Dead Sea Natural Mineral Body Lotion by J. Malki - Yarden, which is very good if you occasionally suffer from dry skin on your elbows.*

* This is an unsolicited opinion - I have no commercial relationship with the manufacturer of the product mentioned above.

0 comments: