Saturday 14 June 2008

Ripping yarns


We've just had some electricians in to do a bit of wiring, which has involved making channels in the walls and means the old wallpaper will have to come off in the near future. I've just had just had a bit of fun in the blog with an ad hominem rant against Kelvin MacKenzie and Alastair Campbell*, but that fun was as nothing compared with the enticing prospect of peeling old wallpaper off. For a mindless activity, there's something dangerously addictive about the process - once you've started, it's very hard to stop.

Although I've got other priorities at the moment, I couldn't resist having a little exploratory rip ... then another ... then another ... then maybe just a little bit more ... I'll just tear off that bit in the corner, then I'll stop ... but that tear has exposed another loose edge ... I'll just rip that bit off, then I'll definitely stop and do something else.... I can stop any time I want, honest....

Forget methadone - if you want to stop drug addicts from thinking about their cravings, send 'em to strip the wallpaper from an old house. I reckon it'd keep their mind off drugs for as long as there was another square foot of wood chip to be torn off. Or is this wallpaper-ripping addiction just me?

*My rant was mild stuff compared to what this pair have respectively dished out to those involved in the Hillsborough tragedy and Dr David Kelly, to name just two examples from their long CVs of vicious abuse and twisting the facts.

0 comments: